Thursday, September 13, 2007

Strange Winds

What a strange 24 hours for weather reporting in Houston. Usually if there is storm headed our way, we watch it for days and the newscasters spend a lot of time reminding people of preparations they need to make.

But this was really different. When I left the house yesterday morning it was a tropical low pressure system that would bring lots of rain. Next time I checked the radio it was Tropical Depression 9. Then Tropical Storm Humberto. By the time I left work they were talking about school closings. At dinner time it was aimed right at us. I went to bed expecting to be awoken in the wee hours by howling winds and pounding rains.

But when I poured my coffee this morning, my spouse said -- surprise! -- it had been upgraded to Hurricane Humberto. Huh, I thought, as I looked at the slightly-low pool level and the neat dry back yard. And surprise #2, it had scooted on up the coast almost to Louisiana.

The kids were disappointed that they had to go to school. (Hello! Hurricane! did you think we'd have electricity for video games?) Today was dry and partly cloudy. We're not even getting the three days of rain we expected from the low pressure system. Very strange.

No comments: