Sunday, July 29, 2007

Progress at Last!

Some bloggable progress at last! Clown Jr socks for K now finished:

And now my guilty conscience can rest -- these are the socks she really wanted, and the pattern suits the yarn. To get the ankles to fit, I used a wide rib (3 and 4 knit st's x 1 purl) down to the end of the gusset. Then it was straight stockinette to the toes.

Specifics: Marks & Kattens "Clown" yarn, 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool, 15% nylon. Knit on 2.5mm addi turbos. Pattern -- basic sock pattern from Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.

About the yarn: like many cotton/wool yarns, it was rather splitty. It feels a little hard and scratchy while knitting and in the finished sock, but I'm expecting it will soften up when it gets washed. The colors are printed on this particular yarn, so aren't rich and saturated like I'd prefer, but then again I didn't pick this yarn, my daughter did. The yardage seems good -- I bought two balls, made two pairs of socks for a youth size 2 foot, and have about a half a ball left over. Would I use it again? If asked, but I wouldn't seek it out.

On other fronts, my second shipment from the Loopy Ewe arrived yesterday. In it, E's "camo sock yarn", a.k.a. Panda Cotton in the Fern colorway:


And, to my immense and continuing delight, some Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in the Champlain Sunset colorway:
The colors just take my breath away, and I can't wait to start knitting it! But since we still have 2 months of very hot weather here, I will work off the Panda Cotton first.

And speaking of Panda Cotton, I did some swatching with the Roses colorway. I knit stockinette with US and metric sizes from 2mm to US size 3 -- 5 different needle sizes. I got everywhere from 8-1/2 sts/in on 2.0mm addis to a little less than 7 sts/in on size 3 bamboo. The yarn looks good in all the gages, but I thought at 2mm it was tad stiff and at US 3 it was too loose for socks (but great for other garments.)

I opted for 2.25mm needles, and have cast on for my first pair of Monkeys. This isn't great yarn for the pattern, but it is a very good pattern for the yarn. And I quickly realized why so many people are hooked on this pattern -- it is completely addictive! It looks complex, but it is actually very simple, and it has a great rythym. And of course, it shows off variegated yarn very well. The Panda Cotton is knitting up great -- very silky and cool-feeling, and the pattern flies.

2 comments:

Crystal Palace Yarns said...

HI Susan,

I hope you'll post a photo of your Panda Cotton "Monkey" when you finish (and also let us show it on our own CPY blog, too?)

Susan at CPY

Cactusneedles said...

I like the way you got the yarn to match up! They look great. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great one!