Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Glacier Rib Socks Done!

Another FO!



I did most of the knitting on these socks while we were on vacation in Glacier, hence the name. I wore them to work yesterday, and they're very comfortable.

When I first started swatching this yarn, I was disappointed to see it was self-striping. Stripes, ick! Check out the sole -- I'm just not an even stripes sort of gal:

Zig-zaggy patterns are the way to deal, I know, but after the Jaywalkers and K's Clown socks I was ready for something different. Since Charlene Schurch's book was the only one I took with me, and I took a fresh look at all her stitch patterns, and finally opted to use the slip-stitch rib pattern she recommends for breaking up pooling colors:


I loved the way it worked out. Still striped, but so much more interesting than plain stockinette or plain rib.

I used these socks to learn three new (for me) techniques: a short row heel, a tubular bind-off, and Ms. Schurch's "easy toe." I'm glad I learned the short-row heel -- it's fast and easy, if a little flimsy. I'll use it on kids socks, which will be outgrown before they can get worn out.

The tubular bind-off worked very well. I was surpised to realize it is really just kitchner stitch. But it should not be attempted while watching the Tour de France. I got off a stitch somewhere, and ended up with a slanty bind off on one half of one sock. I did not EVEN attempt to fix it (rip out kitchner stitch? are you mad?)

I will definitely use the easy toe technique again -- it is very easy, fits well, and it preserves the pattern on self-patterning yarns. Here it is on these socks (that's a tennis ball in there):



And yes, I know the socks don't match. The yarn came in a single ball and had no repeat that I could discern on the first sock. I'm still not convinced there's a repeat, but it makes no difference -- I've become very attached to the mismatched stripes.

Particulars:
Plymouth Sockotta yarn (45% cotton, 40% SW wool, 15% nylon). Knit on 2.5mm addi circs. Pattern assembled from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks.

I like the yarn, even though it's not as fine as I'd prefer. It's very durable -- I knit two other pairs with it about 4 years ago, and they've worn like iron. And it is not at all splitty like other cotton/wool yarns I've used. It seems to be spun very tight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These socks look fantastic - very well done! I like the fact that they're not exactly matching, this makes them all the more unique!

Unknown said...

No more longing to become renowned at present. Buy Facebook Followers as a strategy to obtain popularity and recognition on the internet in a small time period. buy followers on facebook