Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Almost Ready!

Less than 48 hours until we board the plane to go to...





Glacier National Park! I am so psyched!!


I booked two raft tours today -- one whitewater, one scenic.


Daughter keeps asking how deep the water is -- clearly she's worried about falling out of the raft. She seemed reassured that life preservers would be required, and not at all bothered that helmets would be provided as well. I wish I knew what her mental image is of "white water rafting." She asked today if "white" meant "easy." Like the color coding of ski runs. And I've decided not to tell her that the lakes are as deep as the mountains are tall. Once the water is over your head, how much difference does it make how deep it is? Right? That's very logical. But I remember spending a lot of time on lakes as a kid and being irrationally frightened at how deep the water was. When a cold draft would float by my legs, I'd have to remind myself not to scream. The fear never stopped me from jumping off a boat with a water ski, however.


The boys are busy arguing about whether there are really glaciers there. One says all the glaciers melted centuries ago. The other says there are glaciers, but they all melt in summer. The debate has scaled back now that I've got guide books to read aloud from. They are by no means convinced I am right, but they are no longer so certain I am wrong.

For knitting, I've decided to keep it simple after all. Trying to plan a Big New Project for the trip was just adding to the stress of preparation. So I will take Josephine (who didn't complain at all when I left her sitting untouched last weekend due to a sore shoulder), several balls of sock yarn, Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitting Socks, and the two patterns I've pulled off other blogs (Dunes and Loksins.)

And I'll take the Interminable Christmas Cross-stitch Stocking as well. Yes, there's a story there, but I'll tell it later.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! This is going to be an absolutely fantastic trip - you'll all love the glaciers, I'm sure about that - they're just so impressive! And those raft tours, wow, this will get really adventurous and exciting! I hope you all have a wonderful vacation - enjoy yourself and please, bring back a lot of photos with you for us to see! ;)