Monday, May 14, 2007

Coming down from Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to everyone out there! We had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. My in-laws came to visit, and (1) the dogs all got along, (2) my father in law got to play in the pool with my kids, (3) my kids got to play in the pool some more, (4) the weather was sunny and not too hot, and (5) the food and conversation were very very pleasant. And I have discovered that sock knitting dramatically increases my patience for pool-watching. The kids got to swim until they were tired of it, and never once heard me say "You've been in there for an hour! Five more minutes, then everyone gets out!"

So I got in lots of good knitting time. I frogged and restarted my Jaywalkers last Tuesday, and as of Sunday night was almost done with the instep decreases:

Now I have a new dilemma:


Do you think that's enough yarn to finish a sock for a size 10 foot? I didn't think so either. I'm planning to knit to the end of the skein and then decide whether to find a 3rd matching skein OR recycle my swatches OR knit the toes in a different color. I have some left-over shades-of-brown cotton/wool sock yarn in a very similar texture and weight that might work. If there's enough. I'm regretting having used some of it in a dog sweater...


All in all, though, I'm enjoying the Jaywalker pattern very much. It does make a very firm fabric, and it's still a bit of effort to get it over my heel, but it fits very well over my skinny ankles after all. But mostly, it knits up fast, and it makes my hand knitting look better than it really is:









No comments: