Saturday, May 26, 2007

Long weekend...Woohoo!

I'm really looking forward to this long Memorial Day weekend. The weather is a bit gloomy today -- good napping weather, but also good watching-movies-and-knitting weather!

I've cast on the 2nd Jaywalker sock, and have a little over 2" done now. I'm carrying it in my purse and snatching any spare time I can to work on it -- I got about an inch done last night waiting for my taekwondo class to start. And yes, I did feel a little self conscious knitting in that setting.

A short non-knitting digression here: The class was a sparring class -- I really enjoy those, now that I'm good enough to not get pummeled. But my ego is suffering a bit these days. One of the other moms who joined with her kids about year after I joined with my kids has been KICKING MY ASS every time we spar. We're both tall, but she's a smidgen taller. We both have long legs and can kick high, but she can kick higher. And faster. Much faster. In short, everything I can do well she can do better. So I try the tricks of the shorter, slower moms -- but I'm terrible at them. To be clear, I don't mind losing a match so long as it's to someone who's my rank or higher, or is 10 to 20 years younger than me. But it feels very un-feminist somehow to begrudge another mom her ability. And I wonder if the moms whose butts I kick feel the same about me. I'm a little ashamed of myself.

Back to knitting...Josephine is coming along nicely if slowly. Good knitting when I'm "watching" TV with the kids (I really only need to hear the shows.) The stitch definition is lovely.

And I have begun ripping out Iris. It is slow going -- see my earlier comments about the yarn -- but I try to rip a few rows whenever I am on the phone. I'll need to recalculate the pattern, but it won't be too bad -- just an inch or two of ease here and there, then rewrite my instructions with revised row and hook numbers.

I promise pictures of progress on something later this weekend.

No comments: