Monday, May 21, 2007

So Much for Accountability by Confession...

...I'm already changing my rules. Instead of 2 categories -- hand knitting and machine knitting -- I will allow myself 3: hand knitting, machine knitting, and pool knitting.

Pool knitting is the knitting I do when I'm watching the kids in the pool and have very little else to do. I have to be outside to arbitrate fights over kick-boards and torpedoes, to scold the boys for blasting their sister in the face, to make sure there's no head-first anything, and to rescue someone if, God forbid, one of my warnings comes true. For the reasons just listed, I don't like being in the pool with the kids, I don't care how hot it is. But I can knit.

Pool projects have to be small enough that they don't actually touch my lap while I knit. Socks are a natural candidate, as are hats, wash cloths, baby garments. Maybe scarves, we'll see. I've learned too that pool projects should not be too precious -- they will get splashed with pool water, and it would spoil everyone's fun if I freaked out.

I almost finished my 1st Jaywalker sock by the pool this weekend. I actually finished it while watching the World Combat League finals -- but that's another story. The second Jaywalder is now a Pool Project. Which has freed up a spot for Josephine.


I fell in love with Josephine in the latest issue of Interweave Knits, and even had appropriate yarn in my stash. I like the general style with the not-too-open lace, but what hooked me were the lovely details. The garter-stitch cap sleeves with short row shaping, the cross-over V-neck, the gently decreasing rib pattern in the main body.

My gage on the lace section is a smidge loose (an extra 1/4-1/2" on a 4" swatch), but I can use the extra room around the middle. I'm making a couple of deliberate modifications as well (moving the empire waist below my nipples, moving the V to the top of my cleavage) so I'll double check my math tomorrow. But I cast on for the back tonight.

Here's the lace-and-rib swatch (not blocked, just pinned down to keep it from curling up):


I

No comments: